🔗 Share this article Accused Bondi Beach Shooters Acted Independently and Did Not Training in the Southeast Asian Nation, Police State. National Federal Police state there is no evidence the alleged Bondi attackers operated as part of a broader group. The two suspected attackers responsible for the fatal attack at a Hanukkah celebration on Bondi Beach, resulting in 15 lives, reportedly been lone actors, per Australian authorities. Police additionally revealed that Sajid Akram, 50, and his 24-year-old son Naveed Akram, 24, flew to the Philippines on 1 November. Their travel plans included landing in the capital Manila before connecting on the day of arrival to Davao City. The duo returned to Sydney on 29 November. Lack of Proof of Training During Trip Police have stated the individuals did not receive any type of terrorist coaching or "organizing" during their time in the Philippines. Initial investigations from Philippine authorities indicate they "mostly stayed in" their accommodation. The attack—described as Australia's most severe mass shooting since 1996—has been officially designated a terrorist incident. "We are actively examining the footage," she said, adding that preliminary evaluations suggest that "the two men are alleged to have been lone actors." National law enforcement Commissioner Krissy Barrett informed reporters on Tuesday that CCTV footage showing the alleged gunmen's whereabouts in the Philippines had been submitted to domestic authorities. "Our investigation shows no evidence to support the idea these alleged offenders were affiliated with a broader organization, or were instructed by external parties to execute an act of violence," the police chief stated. However, the pair were also not in the Philippines as tourists, she noted. She emphasized that, since the probe is ongoing, new evidence could come to light. Motivation and Legal Charges Earlier, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said it seems both accused gunmen were "inspired by the so-called Islamic State" extremist views. During the incident, Sajid Akram was fatally shot by responding officers. He and his son Naveed—reportedly carrying rifles—allegedly shot guests at the Jewish festival celebration. Naveed Akram, who was wounded after the attack, has been formally accused of 59 offences. These include 15 counts of murder and one count of committing a act of terrorism. He is due to face court in April. Travel Details In the aftermath following the shooting, border officials in the Philippines reported that the older suspect had arrived in the country using an Indian passport, while his younger suspect used an domestic passport. The duo had listed the metropolis of Davao as their final destination. Their pre-arranged return flight to Australia was for Sydney. Davao is a sprawling urban center on the east of Mindanao, the Philippines' main island in the south. The region is known because, Islamist militants have been known to operate in less developed parts of central and south-western Mindanao.
National Federal Police state there is no evidence the alleged Bondi attackers operated as part of a broader group. The two suspected attackers responsible for the fatal attack at a Hanukkah celebration on Bondi Beach, resulting in 15 lives, reportedly been lone actors, per Australian authorities. Police additionally revealed that Sajid Akram, 50, and his 24-year-old son Naveed Akram, 24, flew to the Philippines on 1 November. Their travel plans included landing in the capital Manila before connecting on the day of arrival to Davao City. The duo returned to Sydney on 29 November. Lack of Proof of Training During Trip Police have stated the individuals did not receive any type of terrorist coaching or "organizing" during their time in the Philippines. Initial investigations from Philippine authorities indicate they "mostly stayed in" their accommodation. The attack—described as Australia's most severe mass shooting since 1996—has been officially designated a terrorist incident. "We are actively examining the footage," she said, adding that preliminary evaluations suggest that "the two men are alleged to have been lone actors." National law enforcement Commissioner Krissy Barrett informed reporters on Tuesday that CCTV footage showing the alleged gunmen's whereabouts in the Philippines had been submitted to domestic authorities. "Our investigation shows no evidence to support the idea these alleged offenders were affiliated with a broader organization, or were instructed by external parties to execute an act of violence," the police chief stated. However, the pair were also not in the Philippines as tourists, she noted. She emphasized that, since the probe is ongoing, new evidence could come to light. Motivation and Legal Charges Earlier, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said it seems both accused gunmen were "inspired by the so-called Islamic State" extremist views. During the incident, Sajid Akram was fatally shot by responding officers. He and his son Naveed—reportedly carrying rifles—allegedly shot guests at the Jewish festival celebration. Naveed Akram, who was wounded after the attack, has been formally accused of 59 offences. These include 15 counts of murder and one count of committing a act of terrorism. He is due to face court in April. Travel Details In the aftermath following the shooting, border officials in the Philippines reported that the older suspect had arrived in the country using an Indian passport, while his younger suspect used an domestic passport. The duo had listed the metropolis of Davao as their final destination. Their pre-arranged return flight to Australia was for Sydney. Davao is a sprawling urban center on the east of Mindanao, the Philippines' main island in the south. The region is known because, Islamist militants have been known to operate in less developed parts of central and south-western Mindanao.